On our last Frictionless Data community call on October 28th we had Michael Amadi from Nimble Learn giving a presentation on Open Data Blend and their Frictionless Data journey.
Open Data Blend is a set of open data services that aim to make large and complex UK open data easier to analyse. The Open Data Blend datasets have two interfaces: a UI and an API, both powered by Frictionless Data. The datasets themselves are built on top of three Frictionless Data specifications: data package, data resource and table schema; and they incorporate some Frictionless Data patterns.
The project addresses some of the main open data challenges:
- Large data volumes that are difficult to manage due to their size
- Overwhelming complexity in data analysis
- Open data shared in sub-optimal file formats for data analysis (e.g. PDFs)
- When companies and organisation aggregate data, refine it and add value to it, they often don’t openly share the cleaned data
You can learn more on the project here (opens new window). If you would like to dive deeper and discover all about how Open Data Blend uses the Frictionless Data toolkit, you can watch Michael Amadi’s presentation here:
# Other agenda items from our hangout
- Senior developer Evgeny Karev presented Livemark at PyData on October 29th. If you missed it and want to have a look, check out the recording here (opens new window) (for Livemark jump at 1:03:03).
- The third cohort of Frictionless Fellows has officially kicked off mid-October. You will get to meet them next year during one of our community calls. Meanwhile, stay tuned to know more about them!
- We don’t have any presentation planned for the December community call yet. Would you like to present something? Drop us a line to let us know!
# Join us next month!
Next community call is one week earlier than usual (to avoid conflict with American Thanksgiving), on November 18th. We will hear a presentation from Peter Desmet on Frictionless Data exchange format for camera trapping data.
You can sign up here (opens new window).
Do you want to share something with the community? Let us know when you sign up!
# Call recording:
On a final note, here is the recording of the full call: